Streetscape is designed to enhance the pedestrian experience with sidewalks, crosswalks, lighting, benches, public art and plantings, along with other improvements in the public rights-of-way along Franklin and Rosemary Streets, including cross streets from Merritt Mill Road to Henderson Street. Since the Town established a Streetscape Master Plan in 1993, the Town has been rebuilding sections of sidewalk while incorporating many other improvements. Almost all Streetscape improvements have been funded with bonds approved in 1996 and 2003.
To date, 8265 feet of sidewalks have been reconstructed on portions of Franklin, Rosemary, and Columbia Streets. Crosswalk improvements have been completed at the mid-block crossing on East and West Franklin Street, including replacing handicap ramps. Street and pedestrian-level lighting improvements have been completed where Streetscape improvements were installed on Franklin Street and Columbia Street. The Town is acquiring right-of-way or public use easements to connect sidewalks on Rosemary Street.
In 2006 the Town Council authorized funding for updating the 1993 Downtown Streetscape Master Plan and the Downtown Lighting Plan. A revised Master Plan was completed by Mikyoung Kim Design of Brookline, Massachusetts, and adopted by the Town Council in June 2009. Implementation of the revised Master Plan began with construction of the pilot project on West Rosemary Street between Nunn Alley and Mitchell Lane followed by lighting improvements and Streetscape construction in 2012 on West Franklin Street, between North Roberson and North Graham Streets.
- 06/15/2009 Adoption of Streetscape Master Plan
- 06/27/2007 Funding for Downtown Streetscape Master Plan
- 05/22/2006 Response to Streetscape Petitions
- 03/06/2006 Streetscape Master Plan Review Committee Interim Report
- 06/27/2005 Streetscape Master Plan Review
- 05/28/2003 Response to Petition: Streetscape Improvements to Rosemary Street
- 02/10/2003 Recommended 2003 Streetscape Construction Project
- 02/11/2002 Consideration of Downtown Streetscape Construction Options
For more information, contact Emily Cameron in the Public Works Department at (919) 969-5114 or firstname.lastname@example.org.