Click your preferred language below to apply for the Peoples Academy:
What is the Peoples Academy?
The Peoples Academy is a 5 week, 10 class opportunity to learn, connect and lead.
Academy sessions will be Thursdays and Saturdays from October 4 through November 3. Participants have a choice of 3:00 to 5:00pm (snack provided) or 5:30 to 8:00pm (dinner provided) on Thursdays and all participants are invited to the field trip sessions on Saturdays from 9:00am to noon (snack provided). Participants must attend at least 6 sessions to graduate.
Applications are due August 31.
ALL people that live, work, play, pray or study in Chapel Hill are invited to apply. Childcare and transportation may be provided upon request. Simultaneous interpretation will be provided based on participant needs. You can indicate this in your application or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
What will I get out of the Academy?
- Face time with Town leadership
- Information on Town services and operations
- Tour Town facilities
- Tips on obtaining a job at the Town and other local governments
- Community leadership and communication skills
How do I apply?
In addition to the link above, paper applications are available in all languages by emailing email@example.com call 919-969-5009 to complete an application over the phone in English.
Applications will be reviewed in early September. All applicants will be notified by September 20 if they have been selected.
What are the session topics?
Below are the topics for each class. Odd numbers occur on Thursdays at the Library and even numbers are field trips to Town facilities and destinations:
- Introduction to the Town: Town Manager, Communications and Public Affairs, Human Resources and Technology
- Because Cops Need Heroes Too: Field trip to Fire Training facility
- All About Housing: Housing and Community
- Rolling with Public Works and Transit: Field trip to Public Works and Transit Operations Center
- The Fun Stuff: Library, Arts & Culture, Parks & Recreation, and Downtown
- Where's the Water?: Field trip to Orange Water and Sewer Authority (OWASA)
- Looking to the Future: Planning and Economic Development
- Guardians of the Hill: Field trip to Police Department
- Show Me the Money!: Budget and Finance
- Putting it all Together: Town Tour
Questions or comments?