What is the Peoples Academy?
The Peoples Academy is a 5 week, 9 class opportunity to learn, connect and lead.
Why have the Peoples Academy?
The Academy is a 2016-2018 Council initiative with the goal of improving civic understanding of Town services and increasing diversity in feedback provided to the Town. The objectives of the Academy are:
- Illuminate the Town and its functions, engagement opportunities, communication channels to Town leadership and elected officials, and key issues facing the community
- Encourage community leadership through key skill building opportunities
- Provide an opportunity for the Town to hear participants' perspectives on Town services and infrastructure.
What will participants get out of the experience?
Participants will receive the following benefits if they complete at least six sessions of the Academy:
- Face time with Town leadership
- Tips on obtaining a job at the Town
- Certificate of Community Leadership
- Chapel Hill gifts
How far along are the plans for the Peoples Academy?
The Town is currently designing the first Academy which will launch in early October, 2018. We are meeting with community stakeholders to test the format, timing and barriers to participation. We are also kicking off class design with Town faculty in late March.
What is the timeline?
- Applications open: June 1
- Applications deadline: August 31
- Class schedule: Thursdays and Saturdays starting October 4 and ending November 3
How do I apply?
If you want to make sure you are notified when applications are available, email us at email@example.com or call 919-969-5009.
Questions or comments? Email firstname.lastname@example.org