Free Weekend Parking for the Holiday Season
Shop and eat locally this holiday season in downtown Chapel Hill! The Town of Chapel Hill's parking specials begin on Thanksgiving Day (Thursday, Nov. 23) and continue through the weekend including Small Business Saturday (Nov. 25) with free public parking downtown.
Recent Chapel Hill Mentions and Accolades
(1) NerdWallet recently published a list of the top 10 cities to raise a family in North Carolina and put Chapel Hill at #6:
Chapel Hill is a quintessential university town. It is home to 30,000 students, and benefits from all the cultural facets of college life: concert venues, plenty of fine-dining options and great shopping destinations are scattered around the city. While life may center around the university, jobs here are nevertheless diverse. BlueCross BlueShield of North Carolina employs heavily here, even after moving down the road a few miles, and tech companies like USAT Corp. and RealTime Ops call this small city home.
(2) The Fiske Guide to Colleges last week released its annual list of public colleges that it's determined are a best buy for the 2013-14 year, based on considerations of affordability and academics. In no particular order -- UNC Chapel Hill is listed in the top ten! Huffington Post did a piece on it.
Close on the heels of UVA as the South's most prestigious public university. With more than 80 percent of the spots in each class reserved for in-staters, admission is next to impossible for out-of-staters who aren't 6'9" with a 43-inch vertical. But they keep trying by the thousands. Chapel Hill is the quintessential college town that is morphing into a medium-sized city.
(3) Atlantic published an article talking about our killer local food scene -- so good that chefs are leaving NYC to come here! How Locavores Are Killing Manhattan's Food Scene and Stealing Its Chefs.
(4) FoodRepublic.com named 5 Places to Drink Incredibly Well (and Local) in Chapel Hill (& Carrboro!)
(5) Now this is a few years old from Garden & Gun magazine -- but if you don't have it on your lists yet, add it!
City Portrait: Chapel Hill