Sort by clicking on the drop-down menus below for:
- Adverse weather and Emergency updates
- Service Updates
- Town News releases
- Town-Sponsored Events
Alerts/News/Events older than three months can be found by clicking “View Archived News”.
Subscribe to Town Updates based on specific categories under the News section.
Winter Storm Toby Preparation: 3 p.m. Tuesday, March 20
The National Weather Service in Raleigh is forecasting snowfall during the Wednesday morning commute from Winter Storm Toby which may cause hazardous travel conditions. Town of Chapel Hill officials are monitoring the forecast and preparing roads and facilities for potential winter weather.
Stay up to date with important information and links to resources at townofchapelhill.org/emergency. And, sign up to receive timely alerts from OC Alerts at member.everbridge.net/index/453003085611768#/signup.
“The most important thing you can do Wednesday morning is give yourself extra time to get where you’re going,” said Vencelin Harris, the Town’s emergency management coordinator. “Temperatures aren’t likely to drop to or below freezing, which will greatly decrease any chances of accumulation. However, roads are likely to be wet, and falling snow could present distractions for people driving.”
Safe Driving Tips
- Give extra following distance to allow more stopping time on slippery surfaces (even if you think they aren’t slippery); stopping on snow/ice can require four to 10 times the distance compared to dry pavement
- State Law: if your wipers are on, your headlights must be on
- Headlights are just as important to help other vehicle drivers see you as they are to help you see what’s in front of you
Chapel Hill Transit
Chapel Hill Transit is preparing for the winter weather conditions that are in the forecast. Chapel Hill Transit makes every effort to safely operate all services during winter weather and is committed to announcing any decision to change services promptly to give customers as much lead time as possible to plan accordingly. As of now, the plan is to follow normal routes and schedules Wednesday morning. If there is a significant accumulation of snow, ice or freezing rain, some routes may be put on detours (as buses may not be able to serve parts of a route that are hilly or too dangerous to drive on) and/or delayed. We will also plan to provide an update by 4 a.m. Wednesday morning regarding any changes about services.
Where to Get Service Information
Conditions can change quickly. Before you leave, get the latest updates on weather related delays and detours:
- Check Chapel Hill Transit’s Inclement Weather page at http://www.townofchapelhill.org/town-hall/departments-services/transit/inclement-weather
- Call 919-969-4900 and press "1" for Route and Schedule Information – expect some wait time due to high call volumes
- For EZ Rider Services call 919-969-5544
- Check local TV and radio stations
- Follow us on Facebook (www.facebook.com/chtransit) and Twitter (www.twitter.com/chtransit)
The Town of Chapel Hill will only provide an update Wednesday morning if there is any change in municipal facility and service operations.