Sort by clicking on the drop-down menus below for:
- Adverse weather and Emergency updates
- Service Updates
- Town News releases
- Town-Sponsored Events
Alerts/News/Events older than three months can be found by clicking “View Archived News”.
Subscribe to Town Updates based on specific categories under the News section.
Winter Storm Skylar Preparation: 12 noon Monday, March 12
The National Weather Service in Raleigh is projecting up to two inches of snow in Orange County from Winter Storm Skylar Monday with a high probability of black ice Monday night and Tuesday morning. Town of Chapel Hill officials are monitoring the forecast and have prepared equipment for response.
For the latest information on Winter Storm Skylar from the Town of Chapel Hill, visit townofchapelhill.org/Home/Components/News/News/12154/22.
“The greatest hazard this storm is likely to bring is hazardous overnight travel conditions with temperatures dropping below freezing,” said Vencelin Harris, the Town’s emergency management coordinator. “Bridges and overpasses will freeze before roadways. Town and state crews will address those areas with salt and sand as soon as conditions start to turn.”
Stay up to date with important information and links to resources at townofchapelhill.org/emergency. And, sign up to receive timely alerts from OC Alerts at member.everbridge.net/index/453003085611768#/signup.
Safe Driving Tips
- State Law: if your wipers are on, your headlights must be on
- Headlights are just as important to help other vehicle drivers see you as they are to help you see what’s in front of you
- Clean snow and ice from your car before driving, including headlights and taillights; flying debris can be hazardous to you and those around you
- Give extra following distance to allow more stopping time on slippery surfaces (even if you think they aren’t slippery); stopping on snow/ice can require four to 10 times the distance compared to dry pavement
The Cemeteries Advisory Board meeting is cancelled. All other Town of Chapel Hill meetings (townofchapelhill.org/calendar) are on as scheduled at this time. Please check the calendar before you depart for the meeting.
Public Housing staff will remain in close contact with residents to ensure they have adequate resources.
Information about UNC-Chapel Hill can be found at alertcarolina.unc.edu/
Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools are dismissing early. For more information, visit chccs.k12.nc.us/.
The Interfaith Council (IFC | ifcweb.org) offers shelter for men at the Community House (phone number 919-967-1086) and for women and families at the HomeStart women and family shelter (phone number 919-932-6025).