Wreath Comes Down, Sentiment Continues
The Chapel Hill Fire Department added one red bulb to the wreath that hung at Fire Station No. 1 at 403 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd for the month of December and is asking the community to keep fire prevention in the forefront of your minds as the winter months roll on.
The wreath was removed Jan. 1. The red bulb was added due to a minor fire in a residence on Dec. 22; a mattress caught fire and was extinguished before firefighters arrived. The cause of the fire is unknown.
Although the wreath is no longer visible, you can help us keep the idea behind the “Keep the Wreath Green” campaign going by using the following safety tips:
- NEVER use your stove, over, or grill to heat your home;
- NEVER leave candles unattended;
- Keep cords clear of walkways, which could present tripping hazards; and
- Avoid the use of drop cords (extension cords) for indoor and extended use;
For additional fire, life safety and consumer product information and interactive materials, please visit the below web sites:
- National Fire Protection Association at www.nfpa.org
- Consumer Products Safety Commission at www.cpsc.gov
- Underwriters Laboratories at www.ul.com