Winter Storm Inga Update
Chapel Hill is cleaning up after Winter Storm Inga dumped nearly a foot of snow on the town. High-traffic roads have been cleared, but icy spots remain.
Town facilities are open Friday. Chapel Hill Public Library, Chapel Hill Community Center and Aquatic Center will open at 9 a.m. The Community Center pool is temporarily closed due to a water temperature issue.
Chapel Hill Transit service will begin at 10 a.m. Some routes will be modified or not served due to road conditions.
Storm response call center at 919-969-5005 will be available 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday.
Project Update: Municipal Services Center
Hold the Date: Sept. 7, Location TBD
The Town of Chapel Hill continues to inform the community about progress toward a potential Municipal Services Center– with an expectation that an engagement and design process will be ready for review by the Council and community this fall.
A new Municipal service facility would serve several Town administrative needs which could include police, parks and recreation administration and fire. The site under consideration is on Estes Drive Extension adjacent to existing University functions and owned by UNC-Chapel Hill.
On July 26, the University Board of Trustees approved a lease that sets the groundwork for the Town and University to move forward with a process. The lease establishes the basic business relationship for next steps and provides a framework for moving ahead. Many details of the site, project, and joint relationship will still need to be determined during Stage Two, described below. This lease would require additional review and approval by Town and State bodies.
- Save the Date for a Community Update Meeting set for Sept. 7, Location TBD
- Establish a community engagement group
- Share evaluation of the existing police station site compared to the Estes Drive Extension site
- Refine concept for site with community engagement group
- Conduct any basic site evaluation/exploration to inform the refinement process
- Identify what information would be required during a regulatory process
- Return to Town Council in fall (expected, Sept. 27) with proposal for project design, and regulatory process
Sign up for Town-Gown announcements at www.townofchapelhill.org/signup
For more information, visit http://www.townofchapelhill.org/EstesProject to find:
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Project Schedule
- A memorandum from UNC Chapel Hill regarding landfill locations
- Materials from the March 6, 2017 public information session
- Town Council meeting materials (Jan. 23, 2017)
- University Board of Trustees meeting materials (Jan. 25, 2017)
- Archeological Assessment (added to website on Aug. 8, 2017)
- Comparison of Estes Drive Site and Current Police Station Site (added to website on Aug. 9, 2017)