170929-housing_and_social_work-body

Housing Partners with UNC School of Social Work

UNC-Chapel Hill graduate student Alex Lombardi had an aha moment shortly after she began working as an intern for the Housing Department.

Public housing neighborhoods in Chapel Hill are surrounded by student housing. But the communities and residents don’t really mix.

“In Chapel Hill, public housing is so well integrated, that many students are unaware,” she said. “When you’re a student you’re in a sort of bubble.”

Now Lombardi wants to get to know her neighbors – and it’s because of where she works. She is the first student from UNC-Chapel Hill’s School of Social Work in a new field instruction course based at the Town of Chapel Hill Housing Department.

Read more.

Put A Lid On It!

Post Date:07/18/2017 1:50 PM
cooking_safety-body
Click to play video

Do you know what to do if there’s a grease fire in your kitchen? Don’t throw water on it; put a lid on it!

Cooking fires are the number one cause of home fires and home injuries. Not all fires are the same. If grease is involved, water or a blanket can cause the fire to spread. Keep a pot lid nearby, and if the fire is small and you won’t be harmed, slide a lid over the fire and turn off the burner. Leave the lid on until the pot or pan has had time to completely cool. Also, make sure you have a working fire extinguisher nearby. Kitchen fire extinguishers spray material that does not cause the oil to splash, which could cause the fire to spread. Check the fire extinguisher’s label for more information.

Here are a few other helpful safety tips to keep in mind when cooking:

  • Perform regular cleanings on and around your stove to prevent buildups that could fuel a fire;
  • Keep an eye on what you fry;
  • Be alert when cooking;
  • Keep things that can catch fire away from the cooking area.

For more tips, visit the National Fire Protection Association’s website at nfpa.org/public-education/by-topic/top-causes-of-fire/cooking.

###

Return to full list >>
View Full Site