HOMEGROWN HALLOWEN

Homegrown Halloween: Tuesday, Oct. 31

The Town of Chapel Hill continues its preparation efforts for the night of Halloween (Tuesday, Oct. 31) with the focus on safety for people and property.

“We launch a massive cooperative effort to encourage safety at Halloween on Franklin Street,” said Town Manager Roger Stancil. “We are in this together – Town, University, students, businesses and residents – in support of our community and its many visitors.” Click here to read more.

Put A Lid On It!

Post Date:07/18/2017 1:50 PM
cooking_safety-body
Click to play video

Do you know what to do if there’s a grease fire in your kitchen? Don’t throw water on it; put a lid on it!

Cooking fires are the number one cause of home fires and home injuries. Not all fires are the same. If grease is involved, water or a blanket can cause the fire to spread. Keep a pot lid nearby, and if the fire is small and you won’t be harmed, slide a lid over the fire and turn off the burner. Leave the lid on until the pot or pan has had time to completely cool. Also, make sure you have a working fire extinguisher nearby. Kitchen fire extinguishers spray material that does not cause the oil to splash, which could cause the fire to spread. Check the fire extinguisher’s label for more information.

Here are a few other helpful safety tips to keep in mind when cooking:

  • Perform regular cleanings on and around your stove to prevent buildups that could fuel a fire;
  • Keep an eye on what you fry;
  • Be alert when cooking;
  • Keep things that can catch fire away from the cooking area.

For more tips, visit the National Fire Protection Association’s website at nfpa.org/public-education/by-topic/top-causes-of-fire/cooking.

###

Return to full list >>
View Full Site