Chapel Hill Celebrates Arbor Day Nov. 17
The Town of Chapel Hill’s annual Arbor Day celebration will be held at 11:15 a.m. Friday, Nov. 17, at Chapel Hill Town Hall, 405 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., in the parking lot on the corner of Columbia and Stevens streets.
Suzie Roth’s third grade class from Northside Elementary School will participate and do a presentation of The Giving Tree.
Residential Fire at 304 Burlage Circle, July 16
The Chapel Hill Fire Department responded to a residential structure fire at 4:41 p.m. Sunday, July 16, at 304 Burlage Circle. The caller reported a grease fire that was spreading.
One resident was transported to UNC Hospitals for smoke inhalation.
When fire personnel arrived on the scene, the fire had spread up a wall and into the attic. Firefighters worked quickly and diligently to limit the damage. The fire was under control in less than an hour. All available Chapel Hill Fire units were on scene and assistance was provided by the Carrboro Fire Department and Orange County EMS. The South Orange Rescue Squad provided rehabilitation for the firefighters. The New Hope Fire Department provided coverage in town while resources were focused on this incident.
The official cause of the fire is under investigation.
The National Fire Protection Agency has some helpful tips to keep in mind if you're involved in a cooking fire:
- Just get out! When you leave, close the door behind you to help contain the fire.
- Call 9-1-1 after you leave.
- If you try to fight the fire, be sure others are getting out and you have a clear way out.
- Keep a lid nearby when you’re cooking to smother small grease fires. Smother the fire by sliding the lid over the pan and turn off the stovetop. Leave the pan covered until it is completely cooled.
- For an oven fire turn off the heat and keep the door closed.
For more helpful information about cooking safety, visit: nfpa.org/public-education/by-topic/top-causes-of-fire/cooking/safety-messages-about-cooking.
For more information, contact Ran Northam, community safety communications specialist, at email@example.com or 919-969-4878.