Welcoming #ChapelHill #peoplemakingadifference!
Volunteers to advisory boards met Friday morning for breakfast and orientation with Mayor Pam Hemminger, Town Manager Roger Stancil and other Town staff. Thank you for your #communityengagement & #govlov.
Learn more about serving on an advisory board or commission at www.townofchapelhill.org/boards.
Project Update: Municipal Services Center
The Town of Chapel Hill is working this summer with UNC-Chapel Hill on next steps for a potential Municipal Services Center– with an expectation that an engagement and design process will be ready for review by the Council and community this fall.
A new Municipal service facility would serve several Town administrative needs which could include police, parks and recreation administration and fire. The site under consideration is on Estes Drive Extension adjacent to existing University functions and owned by UNC-Chapel Hill.
On July 26, the University Board of Trustees will consider a lease that would set the groundwork for the Town and University to move forward with a process. The lease would require additional review by Town and State bodies for possible authorization, and could establish the basic business relationship for next steps in the project. It would come to the Town Council in fall 2017 and proceed through the State review process.
Next Steps for summer and fall 2017:
- Establish a community engagement group
- Share evaluation of the existing police station site compared to the Estes Drive Extension site
- Refine concept for site with community engagement group
- Conduct any basic site evaluation/exploration to inform the refinement process
- Identify what information would be required during a regulatory process
- Summarize summer efforts and return to Town Council in fall with proposal for project design, and regulatory process
Sign up for Town-Gown announcements at www.townofchapelhill.org/signup
For more information, visit http://www.townofchapelhill.org/EstesProject to find:
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Project Schedule
- A memorandum from UNC Chapel Hill regarding landfill locations
- Materials from the March 6, 2017 public information session
- Town Council meeting materials (January 23, 2017)
- University Board of Trustees meeting materials (January 25, 2017)