Winter Storm Inga Update
Chapel Hill is cleaning up after Winter Storm Inga dumped more than 6 inches of snow on the town. Public Works crews are focusing on clearing Town-maintained streets, bridges, overpasses and trouble spots. The NC Department of Transportation is focusing on the five major roads through Chapel Hill (Franklin Street, Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard/Columbia Street, Fordham Boulevard, Manning Drive, and South Road/NC Highway 54).
Meeting cancelations: Wednesday's Chapel Hill Town Council regular business meeting is canceled. Wednesday's Chapel Hill Cultural Arts Commission meeting is canceled. The Meet the Author Tea scheduled for Thursday has been canceled and may be rescheduled for a later date.
Town facilities will be closed on Thursday. This includes Parks and Recreation facilities (including the Aquatics Center on Homestead Road), the Chapel Hill Public Library and other public-facing facilities.
Traffic and Transit Impacts: Tar Heel 10 Miler
The 10th running of Endurance Magazine’s Tar Heel 10 Miler featuring the Fleet Feet Sports Four Mile Run will cause some impacts to traffic and Chapel Hill Transit on Saturday, April 22.
People who drive are advised to seek alternate routes to avoid delays between 6 and 10 a.m. The Chapel Hill Police Department will have officers stationed at various intersections to guide people who drive and ensure public safety. The following list highlights closures along the race course.
- Raleigh Road: 5-10 a.m. | Country Club Road to U.S. Highway 15-501
- Franklin Street: 7-9 a.m. | Estes Drive* to Graham Street
- *Local traffic only (residents) between Estes Drive and Park Place
- Hillsborough Street: 7:30-9 a.m. | Franklin Street to North Street
- North Street: 7:30-9 a.m. | Hillsborough Street to Boundary Street
- Boundary Street: 7:30-9 a.m. | North Street to Franklin Street
- East Rosemary Street: 7:30-9 a.m. | Hillsborough Street to Boundary Street
- Raleigh Street, Battle Lane & Boundary Street: 7:30-8:45 a.m.
- Gimghoul Road: 7:30-9:30 a.m.
- Greenwood Road: 8:15-9:45 a.m.
- Laurel Hill Road: 8:30-10 a.m.
The roadways will clear and normal traffic is expected to resume by 10 a.m. For more information, including a course map, visit tarheel10miler.com.
Chapel Hill Transit
The Chapel Hill Transit Saturday T and FG routes will be detoured on Saturday, April 22, due to the annual UNC Science Expo and the Tar Heel 10 Miler.
For detour information, visit townofchapelhill.org/Home/Components/News/News/10987/22.
For more information, contact Endurance Magazine’s Amy Charney at firstname.lastname@example.org or 877-293-6387.