Travel Safety Initiatives
We want everyone to travel safely in Chapel Hill. The Police Department and area partners will continue speed enforcement and Watch for Me N.C. initiatives throughout the month of February. These initiatives are an effort to continue to preserve and enhance a safe community in which to travel, whether on two wheels, four wheels, two feet, or other methods.
Watch For Me N.C. is a statewide safety initiative designed to improve relationships on roads between people who drive, people who walk, people who roll and people who bike. People may receive helpful information, warnings, and in some cases, tickets for violations during these initiatives.
The Chapel Hill Police Department is taking additional steps to encourage safety among all travelers of Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard and throughout the community. You may notice an enhanced police presence along Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard. The Watch For Me N.C. travel-safety initiative scheduled for Tuesday, Feb. 27, is being moved from South Columbia Street to Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard. You will also notice temporary digital signs along the road to encourage safe-travel behaviors.
Chapel Hill Transit F, J, NS, NU and Safe Ride Routes Update for Friday, March 10
- F Route – pick up and drop off on Cameron Avenue at Pittsboro Street. The route will be detoured along Raleigh Street, South Road, Columbia Street to Cameron Avenue and Merritt Mill Road
- J Route – pick up and drop off on Cameron Avenue at Pittsboro Street. The route will be detoured along Cameron Avenue.
- NS Route – pick up and drop off on Hillsborough at Rosemary Street. The route will be detoured along South Road, Raleigh Street, Hillsborough Street to and from Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
- NU Route – pick up and drop off on Hillsborough Street at Rosemary Street, not serving Abernathy or Columbia at Rosemary stops
- Safe T – pick up and drop off at Chapel Hill Town Hall on Martin Luther King Jr., Boulevard
- Safe J – pick up and drop off at Franklin Street and Church Street (near Might as Well)
- Safe G – pick up and drop off on Columbia Street at ROTC
In the event of road closures, Chapel Hill Transit will attempt to maintain posted schedules and routes; however, customers should plan for detours and delays.
Safe Ride is a service funded by the UNC-Chapel Hill Student Government for the safety of students.
Chapel Hill Transit is the public transportation provider that serves Chapel Hill, Carrboro and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. For complete information about Chapel Hill Transit services, schedules, route changes or directions to the nearest stop, visit us at www.chtransit.org , email email@example.com, or call a customer service representative at 919-485-7433.