Planning Commission looking for new members

Post Date:01/20/2017 4:03 PM
Board meeting

Are you a Chapel Hill resident who’s interested in land use and community planning?

The Town of Chapel Hill may have an opportunity for you to serve on the Planning Commission, a volunteer advisory board to the Town Council. There are currently openings for four members since the Council recently increased membership for the commission.

Planning Commission members serve three-year terms. The commission meets at 7 p.m. on the first and third Tuesdays of every month (except July) at Chapel Hill Town Hall, 405 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. The average time commitment to serve on the commission is 10-12 hours per month. No experience is required—new members will receive training and guidance to support their success.

How to Apply

  • Apply by noon Monday, Feb. 20, by completing an application form, at, and
  • Attend the Commission meeting on Feb. 7 or Feb. 21.  During these meetings, you will be invited to make a brief statement about your interest and respond to any follow-up questions. 

The Planning Commission will make its recommendation at its Feb. 21 meeting, and the Council will schedule interviews for Feb. 27 and appointments on March 6.

Planning Commission Membership

The Planning Commission is composed of ten (10) members. Eight (8) members, appointed by the Council, shall reside within the corporate limits of Chapel Hill. One (1) member, appointed by the Orange County Board of Commissioners, shall reside within the Town's extraterritorial planning jurisdiction (ETJ). One (1) member, appointed by the Orange County Board of Commissioners, shall reside within the Town's ETJ or Joint Planning Transition Area (JPA). A map of the Town is available at  if you are uncertain whether you live within one of these areas, or you can call us at 919-969-5014. The Town’s extraterritorial planning jurisdiction (ETJ) includes the Rogers Road community, Dogwood Acres, and the residential area north and east of Mt. Carmel Church Road.

Town Advisory Boards and Commissions

Chapel Hill local government has various standing boards and commissions that advise the Town Council on a wide range of issues. We are also currently looking to fill vacancies on the Board of Adjustment (also has ETJ and JPA vacancies), Housing Advisory Board and Human Services Advisory Board. Explore the boards and complete applications at


Contact the Communications and Public Affairs Department at 919-969-5014 or We look forward to working with you!

Return to full list >>
View Full Site