Interested in local issues? Apply to be a member of an advisory board, committee or commission.

Post Date:08/25/2016 1:17 PM
PHOTO: Advisory Board Meeting

Here’s an idea! Apply to serve our community by serving on a Town of Chapel Hill advisory board, committee or commission!

  • Here’s what you give – time, ideas and energy.
  • And, what you get in return – opportunity to provide input into local policies that shape our community; personal growth; friends and new connections

Chapel Hill local government has various standing boards and commissions that advise the Town Council on a wide range of issues. We are currently looking to fill vacancies on the following:

  • Grievance Hearing Board: 3 Town Resident
  • Cemeteries Advisory Board: 2 town residents
  • Environmental Stewardship Advisory Board: 1 Greenways Advocate, 1 Town resident, 1 UNC Chapel Hill Student
  • Transportation and Connectivity Advisory Board: 1 Town resident, 1 UNC Chapel Hill Student
  • Board of Adjustment: 3 Orange County appointed positions
  • Planning Commission: 1 Orange County appointed ETJ, 1 Orange County appointed JPA, ETJ or Chapel Hill resident can be appointed to position within terms of Joint planning agreement.
  • Historic District Commission: 1 resident within the Town’s planning jurisdiction (Town or ETJ)
  • Housing Advisory Board: 1 For-profit Developer,
  • Library Board of Trustees: 1 Town resident
  • Community Design Commission; 1 Town resident
  • Community Policing Advisory board: 1
  • Human Services Advisory Board: 1 Town resident
  • Justice in Action Committee: 1 member

For more information on the work of these groups, eligibility requirements, or to complete an application form, please visit

Apply now at

Questions? Contact the Communications and Public Affairs Department at 919-969-5014 or We look forward to working with you!

Share our flier!

Return to full list >>
View Full Site