Community Celebrations Honoring Dr. King
- Date: 01/15/2018 (all day)
UNC-Chapel Hill MLK Week of Celebration
UNC will host several events including:
- Sunday, Jan. 14: University/Community MLK Banquet at the Friday Center
- Monday, Jan. 15: MLK Day of Service 5K at the Campus Y
- Tuesday, Jan. 16: Unity Dinner at the Great Hall and “He Was a Poem, He Was a Song” at Stone Center
- Wednesday, Jan. 17: Candlelight Vigil—Warriors of Freedom a the Stone Center Amphitheater
- Thursday, Jan. 18: MLK Celebration Keynote Lecture and Awards Ceremony at Memorial Hall
More information and details at diversity.unc.edu/mlk
MLK Day Rally and March at Peace and Justice Plaza
A rally led by the UNC College Chapter and Chapel Hill- Carrboro NAACP Youth Council begins at 9 a.m. Monday, Jan. 15, at the Peace and Justice Plaza, 179 E. Franklin St. The featured speaker is Quinton Harper, an activist and community organizer. Followed with a march to First Baptist Church.
At 10 a.m., there will be coffee and conversation on “MLK 50 Years Later.” From 11 to 12:30 p.m., there will be a commemorative church service with NC Senator Valerie Foushee as keynote speaker.
An Evening with Regina Gale and Dr. King
Regina Gale, author, poet and speaker, will entertain with powerful readings, an array of jazzy songs, uplifting stories of hope and the message to never stop dreaming.
The free event will be from 6 to 8 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 17, at the Seymour Center in Chapel Hill, 2551 Homestead Road. Register by Wednesday, Jan. 10, by calling (919) 968-2070.