- Date: 10/31/2017
- Location: Franklin Street
Return to full list >>
Homegrown Halloween will be held from 8 to 10:30 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 31, on Franklin Street in downtown Chapel Hill.
For more information, visit www.townofchapelhill.org/halloween.
- Unlicensed drones (for more information, visit https://www.faa.gov/news/fact_sheets/news_story.cfm?newsId=20516)
- Costume accessories that look like weapons;
- Alcoholic beverages;
- Glass bottles;
- Fireworks and explosives;
- Flammable substances;
- Animals; and
Chapel Hill Transit and Safe Ride Buses
Chapel Hill Transit will adjust some routes and schedules to accommodate the Halloween celebration on Franklin Street. The following schedule modifications will be in effect:
- CW Route—Last bus will leave Credit Union at 7:10 p.m.
- CM Route—Last bus will leave Jones Ferry park and ride at 7:50 p.m.
- D Route will end at 7:31 p.m. Sagebrook Apartments
- F Route will end at 7:45 p.m. Colony Woods and 7:38 p.m. Pine Grove
- G Route will end at 7:47 p.m. Booker Creek and 7:43 p.m. University Place
- J Route will end at 7:56 p.m. Rock Creek Apartments
- NS Route—Last bus will leave Eubanks park and ride at 7:40 p.m. and from Southern Village park and ride 7:45 p.m.
- NU Route will end at 7:44 p.m. RR Lot
- EZ Rider service will end at 7:30 p.m.
All other routes will operate on regular routes and published schedules, although delays may occur due to increased traffic.
Safe Ride buses will operate from 11 p.m. to 2:30 a.m., as Franklin Street reopens. Safe Ride is a service funded by the UNC-Chapel Hill Student Government for the safety of students. For information on routes and schedules: http://www.townofchapelhill.org/town-hall/departments-services/transit/safe-ride-program.
Please be advised that due to road closures and traffic pattern changes, Chapel Hill Transit may be unable to operate published schedules for these routes. The delays will also impact NextBus predictions.
There will be no bus shuttles operating from park and ride lots to the Halloween celebration.
Beginning at 8 p.m., some downtown streets will be closed to vehicular traffic:
- Franklin Street, from Raleigh Street to Church Street
- Columbia Street, from Rosemary Street to South Road
- Northbound traffic on South Columbia Street will be detoured west onto McCauley Street
- Henderson Street, from East Rosemary Street to East Franklin Street
- Church Street (southbound), from West Rosemary Street to West Franklin Street
- Robertson Lane
- Pickard Lane
- South Road, from South Columbia Street to Raleigh Street (6:30 p.m. to 12 midnight)
- Cameron Avenue, from South Columbia Street to Raleigh Street (6:30 p.m. to 12 midnight
- Stadium Drive (5 p.m. to 1:30 a.m.)
- Skipper Bowles Drive (6 p.m. to 11 p.m.)
Residential streets near downtown will be closed except to residents of those streets and their guests.
There will be limited parking in downtown. There will be no place for charter buses to drop off of pick up passengers. Charter buses entering the downtown Chapel Hill area will be directed by law enforcement officers to the outskirts of Town prior to dropping off any passengers. There will also be no parking in the neighborhoods adjacent to downtown. Access to neighborhoods will be limited by barricades and police personnel at the roads leading into them. This will begin early in the evening.
Vehicles parked on streets to be closed will be towed beginning at 6 p.m.
Vehicles that are illegally parked will be ticketed and towed, with a minimum recovery cost of $140 plus the cost of the ticket.
For the latest UNC public safety information on Halloween (street closures and parking restrictions) visit move.unc.edu.